Have questions about your research?
We can help!
Code of Conduct
The UCLA Library Data Science Center is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people, regardless of background or identity. However, we recognize that some groups in our community are subject to historical and ongoing discrimination, and maybe vulnerable or disadvantaged. Membership in such a specific group can be on the basis of characteristics such as gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, nationality, sex, color, ethnic or social origin, pregnancy, citizenship, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, age, or choice of text editor. We do not tolerate harassment of participants on the basis of these categories, or for any other reason.
Harassment is any form of behavior intended to exclude, intimidate, or cause discomfort. Because we are a diverse community, we may have different ways of communicating and of understanding the intent behind actions. Therefore we have chosen to prohibit certain forms of behavior in our community, regardless of intent. Prohibited harassing behavior includes but is not limited to:
- written or verbal comments which have the effect of excluding people on the basis of membership in a specific group listed above
- causing someone to fear for their safety, such as through stalking, following, or intimidation
- the display of sexual or violent images
- unwelcome sexual attention
- nonconsensual or unwelcome physical contact
- sustained disruption of talks, events, or communications
- incitement to violence, suicide, or self-harm
- continuing to initiate interaction (including photography or recording) with someone after being asked to stop
- publication of private communication without consent
Behavior not explicitly mentioned above may still constitute harassment. The list above should not be taken as exhaustive but rather as a guide to make it easier to enrich all of us and the communities in which we participate. All Data Science Center interactions should be professional regardless of location: harassment is prohibited whether it occurs on- or offline, and the same standards apply to both.
Enforcement of the Code of Conduct will be respectful and not include any harassing behaviors. Any changes to the meaning of this Code of Conduct must be approved by the staff of the Data Science Center.
Thank you for helping make this a welcoming, friendly community for all.
This code of conduct is a modified version of that used by the Carpentries. Contributors to this document: Leigh Phan, Jamie Jamison, and Tim Dennis