Advance Open Scholarship and Knowledge Creation
We prioritize open and robust access to information and enact policies that advance open knowledge creation.
- Support continued mandates that funded research results be published openly for public and researcher discovery, use, and re-use.
- Partner for transformative scholarly communication initiatives with publishing vendors and other organizations that support new models of scholarly output and dissemination.
- Advocate for and educate our UCLA community about the UC Open Access Policies and the need for scholarly communication transformation.
- Digitize and provide access to unique cultural heritage materials that support broad access.
- Support the research data lifecycle, especially data preservation and re-use.
- Advocate for and integrate research and data skills into courses and curricula.
- Center open access principles in all activities to further democratize and enhance access to knowledge.
- Leverage user experience when we develop, revise and maintain our systems that enable content discovery, access and management in all modes of research and instruction.
- Increase open digital and data resources to support teaching, learning, research and creative output.
- Build, support and curate content and data representative of our community and the history of Los Angeles and its role as a global city.
See more about the UCLA Library Strategic Directions.
- about This UCLA Library initiative encourages instructors to use low-cost or free alternatives to expensive course materials and awards successful courses adopting these materials for the first time.
- about The Digital Library Program works across UCLA and with a range of partners to preserve and provide access to cultural heritage materials in support of UCLA’s teaching, research and service mission.
- visit Working with partners both on and off campus, the UCLA Library Data Science Center (DSC) develops data literacy and foundational coding skills through consultation and education.
- help Explore resources from UCLA Library to help you understand copyright, open access and other questions you may have about publishing your research.
More Strategic Directions
- about We continually develop human-centered services and technologies to connect with students, faculty and researchers wherever they are.
- about Our work seeks to understand and redress inequities faced by individuals and groups that have been and continue to be silenced and neglected by systems of power.
- about We cultivate relationships with campus, systemwide and global partners that drive innovation, create efficiencies and ensure expenditures have significant impact.