To borrow any item, please follow these steps:
- Use UC Library Search(opens in a new tab) to locate your item's location and call number. Books are stored in alphanumeric order by call number at each library.
- Use your BruinCard or UCLA Library Card to check out your items at a circulation desk or self-checkout machine.
- Course Reserves are available at library circulation desks.
- Check out our Equipment Lending page for more details about borrowing laptops and other technology items.
Borrowing is first-come, first-serve. The Library does not reserve books in advance.
If you can't find what you are looking for, we can still help you find what you need. Our Interlibrary Loan service allows eligible UCLA patrons to borrow materials from other institutions.
- help Wondering how the Library can help provide access to your course materials? Check out our resources for students and instructors on how to request, manage and access course reserves.
- help The UCLA Library lends laptops and other technology equipment to the UCLA community.
- help Can't find the book on the shelf? UCLA Library staff will search for items missing from our collections.
- help Our interlibrary loan (ILL) service enables Bruins to obtain materials not physically available in UCLA libraries.
Most materials, including laptops, may be renewed online. In UC Library Search(opens in a new tab), click "My Library Account" in the top right corner and log in. Access and renew your items by clicking on your name in the top right corner and selecting "My Loans" in the drop-down menu.
If you cannot renew items online due to restrictions on your account, please email your name, BruinCard or library card number and your request to renew to firstname.lastname@example.org(opens in a new tab). Email requests may take up to 3 business days to process.
You can return most library materials to any library on campus. The following items must be returned directly to the library location from which they were borrowed:
- Interlibrary loan items
- One-day loan items
- Items borrowed from department libraries (such as the English Reading Room)
- Laptops and technology equipment
The Charles E. Young Research Library and Powell Library have exterior book drop bins accessible 24/7.
|UCLA Faculty, Students and Staff
|90 days; renewable
|14 days; renewable
|7 days; not renewable
|Two hours, or overnight if checked out an hour or less before closing; not renewable
|1 week; renewable
|28 days; four renewals per item
|Library Use Only
|Library Use Only
All circulating material is subject to recall by the Library. Once recalled, the due date of an item will be shortened to seven days from the recall date. If the original due date falls before then, the due date will remain the same. Overdue recalled items are subject to fines.
Reference and Special Collection Materials are for building use only and do not circulate from any library. Unbound journals do not circulate at the Arts, Music and Powell Libraries.
Have Further Questions?
We're here to help. Chat with a librarian 24/7, schedule a research consultation or email us your quick questions.