More Information

UC Users

  • UCLA Students, Staff and Faculty: Your BruinCard serves as your library card. Your library number is your University ID number plus the digit in the lower right corner on the back of your card.
  • Other UC Students, Staff and Faculty: You can use your library card from your home campus.
  • Researchers working with UC faculty: UC faculty can authorize others to check out Library items on their behalf by obtaining a Faculty Authorization (Proxy) Card.
  • UCLA Retirees: You are entitled to a free BruinCard upon retirement, which serves as your library card.
  • UCLA and UC Alumni: Members of any UC Alumni Association are eligible for a free library card. Present proof of your membership to any Library circulation desk to obtain your card.
  • Graduate Students on Leave: You can buy Library privileges for $28 per quarter. Present verification of your leave to a library circulation desk for purchase.

External Users

  • UCLA Extension Students: You can purchase a library card for $28 per quarter with proof of your enrollment at the Charles E. Young Research Library and Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library circulation desks.
  • Community College and CSU Students: Library cards are $25 for six months and $50 for one year. Present your student ID and a government-issued ID at the Research Library circulation desk to obtain your card.
  • Donors: Individuals can obtain a UCLA Library Card with a gift of $120+ to the Library(opens in a new tab). Please present confirmation of your gift to the Biomedical Library or YRL circulation desk to obtain your card privileges.
  • General Public: Individuals over 18 years old can get a free, access-only card with a current, government-issued photo ID at most circulation desks. This card is required to use many Library facilities and services but does not allow users to borrow items. Members of the public over 18 years old can purchase a borrower card for $100 per year. Please present a current, government-issued photo ID at the Biomedical Library or Research Library circulation desk to get a borrowing card.
  • High School Students: Most students are not eligible for a library card. However, high school students in Advanced Placement courses with agreements with Powell Library can get free library cards. High school instructors who want to enroll their students in the program can email us at in a new tab).
  • Other External Users Eligible for Free Cards: If you belong to one of the following groups, provide proof of your membership status and a current, government-issued photo ID to obtain a free card.
    • Faculty and librarians at California institutions of higher education accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Current members of certain university support groups and individuals in programs who are covered by agreements between UCLA and other institutions (if you have questions about whether you qualify, please email in a new tab))
    • Immediate family members (age 18+) of UCLA faculty and staff
    • UCLA Extension instructors (upon presentation of a UCLA Extension library card authorization form)
    • Certified K-12 public school employees in California

Please note that borrower cards do not provide off-campus access to UCLA's online subscription materials.

Policies and Borrower Responsibilities

Card Renewals

Current UCLA faculty, staff and student cards will be renewed each year until an individual leaves the university. All other library cardholders (excluding those with quarterly cards) have a yearly expiration date for their library account. If your card has expired, please email the Research Library circulation desk at in a new tab).

Lost Library Cards

Lost or stolen BruinCards should be reported to the BruinCard Center at (310) 825-2336. If you lose your library-issued card, please report it to the Library by emailing us at in a new tab).

Address Updates

UCLA students, faculty and staff should notify the university of address changes by signing into their MyUCLA account(opens in a new tab). Other users should inform the Library of address changes by visiting any Library circulation desk or by emailing their name, library card number and new address to in a new tab). Users who leave the area should arrange for their materials to be returned on time to avoid fines.

Associated Topics

Have Further Questions?

We're here to help. Chat with a librarian 24/7, schedule a research consultation or email us your quick questions.

Contact us
Contact us