Read the latest news from UCLA Library.
Coming in 2023! Imagining indigenous cinema: New voices, new vision
The series will open in June 2023 at the Hammer Museum's Billy Wilder Theater.
- PeopleWelcome Amanda Salazar, public programmer at the UCLA Film & Television ArchiveAmanda Salazar will be creating programs that engage with new audiences and showcase diverse perspectives.
- Announcement, PeopleElizabeth McAulay, head of Digital Library Program, appointed to Library of Congress committeeAs a member of the MODS/MADS editorial committee, McAulay will work to revise and refine digital object description standards
- PeopleJillian Borders named head of Preservation at the UCLA Film & Television ArchiveJillian Borders comes to her new position with a large amount of institutional knowledge.
- PeopleStaci Hogsett named head of Collection Services at the UCLA Film & Television ArchiveLearn about Staci Hogsett's background and goals for her new position.
- AnnouncementRevamped UCLA Library website offers more user-friendly experienceThe redesign will make it easier for users to find information about library resources and to submit research queries.
- AnnouncementArts Library reopens with a fresh new lookJoin us for an open house on Feb 16, 2 - 4 p.m. at the Arts Library, located in Room 1400 in the Luskin School building.
- CollectionsInjustice remains: 48-year-old women’s prison documentary shows how little has changedUCLA Newsroom highlights the UCLA Film & Television Archive restoration and screening of student-made We're Alive (1974).
- PeopleIntroducing Sally Márquez, assistant director of communications and digital contentLearn about Sally Márquez and her goals for her new position.
- Collections, Teaching and LearningIslamic manuscripts hold hidden pearls of knowledgeDoctoral students in Arabic manuscripts course find UCLA Library collection materials previously held by scholars and officials.
- Teaching and LearningInformation literacy outreach gets boosted with new grantUCLA Library will use new funds to continue its work in the field.
- Teaching and LearningQuarterly workshop series fosters student confidenceSurvey responses this quarter indicated that UCLA Library workshops have helped students grow their research and writing skills.
- Collections, PeopleA shared love of artists’ books inspires a legacyRobert Gore and Mitchell Levin's passion for such materials will now live on through an endowment.
- AnnouncementLetter from the university librarian — winter 2022Quarterly message from Ginny Steel.
- Teaching and LearningA true Bruin welcomeUCLA Library staff welcome students back to campus for the 2022-23 school year.
- CollectionsA behind-the-scenes look at the PHI STOADive into the world of the UCLA Film & Television Archive with these photos from our storage facility.
- AnnouncementCall for proposals: Lessons for librarians in open science principles and methodsUCLA Library's new project is looking for lesson plans highlighting open-source tools and software.
- AnnouncementNew NIH requirements for data management and sharingResearchers should be aware of the newest policies and ensure their proposals are compliant.
- PeopleIntroducing Nicole Alvarado, book and paper conservatorLearn about Nicole Alvarado and her goals for her new role in UCLA Library's Preservation & Conservation department.
- PeopleMeet Library student employee Taylor SieverlingLearn how her experience as a Cluster Program peer research and writing specialist will help her in her future career.
- CollectionsFirst-of-its-kind symposium forges pathways for repatriation in libraries and archivesAfter returning some of our own holdings to their original homes, the UCLA Library is opening up conversations about repatriation.
- Teaching and LearningJewish American heritage month recommendationsUCLA Library staff curate a diverse list of multimedia recommendations centering Jewish cultural life.
- PeopleIntroducing Kimi Taira, postgraduate preventative conservatorLearn about Kimi Taira and her goals for her new role with UCLA Library's Preservation & Conservation department.
- PeopleIntroducing Sumin Kim, Korea Foundation visiting librarianLearn about Sumin Kim and her goals for her role as a Korea Foundation visiting librarian.
- AnnouncementThe UCLA Carpentries community is looking to grow!The Carpentries — a community of instructors in data science research — is ready to welcome new teachers.
- PeopleIntroducing Anthony Sharp, Music Metadata SpecialistLearn about Anthony Sharp and his goals as a music metadata specialist.
- CollectionsInto the light: Expanding access to Middle Eastern manuscriptsUCLA's collection represents one of the largest in the world.
- PeopleIntroducing Shelby Hallman, physical sciences and engineering librarianLearn about Shelby Hallman and her goals for this position.
- AnnouncementMarschack Symposium: Explore quantitative approaches to criminal and social justice, Nov. 7Applied mathematician and data scientist Chad Topaz to present research as part of the Jacob Marschak Interdisciplinary Colloquium on Mathematics in the Behavioral Sciences at UCLA.
- Teaching and LearningLetter from the university librarian — fall 2022Quarterly message from Ginny Steel.
- PeopleStudent employee’s drawings are the cat’s meowXinjian Cen, member of Powell Library's student outreach team, sees her infamous Powell Cat artwork explode in popularity.
- AnnouncementComing in 2023! Imagining indigenous cinema: New voices, new visionThe series will open in June 2023 at the Hammer Museum's Billy Wilder Theater.
- CollectionsContemporary music score collection is a global hitThe collection has now reached a milestone 100,000 views and 45,000 downloads.
- Announcement$13 million grant from Arcadia will expand Library’s global preservation workThe largest grant the UCLA Library has received to date, the funds will be used to support the preservation of at-risk materials from the 20th and 21st centuries.
- AnnouncementUCLA Library to expand global preservation work thanks to largest grant in its history$13 million from Arcadia will bolster the Modern Endangered Archives Program.
- CollectionsWorks from UCLA Library Special Collections earn rave reviews at New York museum show‘Writing a Chrysanthemum: The Drawings of Rick Barton’ has drawn critical acclaim at the Morgan Library & Museum.
- CollectionsUCLA Film & Television Archive helps keep full picture of L.A.’s Chicano history aliveThe short documentary ‘Chicano Moratorium’ captures the brutal police response to protests against the Vietnam War.
- Cell Press and The Lancet titles now included in UC-Elsevier open access publishing agreementUCLA corresponding authors will now be able to publish open access research in these prestigious journals.
- Announcement, Teaching and LearningUCLA Library reports new UC open access agreements with IEEE and NatureThe agreements will build on the UC's mission to publish accessible research.
- Announcement2022 “Science is Art” competition winnersExplore the creative and innovative artwork of students, faculty and staff.
- CollectionsSheila Kuehl on the legacy — and digital future — of ‘Get Used to It’The UCLA alumna and Los Angeles County supervisor hosted the landmark LGBTQ talk show.
- PeopleFormer University Librarian Gloria Werner remembered for her visionary leadershipWerner's Library colleagues speak on her campus impact and vibrant personality.
- Teaching and LearningPride month media recommendationsUCLA Library librarians and staff members curate a diverse list of multimedia recommendations centering queer, trans and non-binary voices.
- PeopleCelebrating the UCLA Library's 2022 graduatesCongrats, #UCLA2022 grads!
- AnnouncementUC, SAGE Publishing agreement will expand reach of UC researchUnder the open access deal, UCLA Library will help authors cover cost of publishing.
- People2022 UCLA Library Prize for Undergraduate Research winnersEight students were recognized for their scholarship and research in a variety of fields.
- AnnouncementResearchers gain read-and-publish access to American Chemical Society journals in UC agreementThe 3-year arrangement enables UCLA authors to publish open access in 75 premier publications at reduced cost.
- Announcement, Teaching and LearningUCLA Library to host 20 top academic librarians for professional development programThese librarians will attend UCLA workshops designed to provide them with skills be leaders in the field.
- Announcement, CollectionsQ&A: Film programmer Paul Malcolm previews ‘American Neorealism, Part Two’UCLA Film & Television Archive series begins June 3 at the Billy Wilder Theater
- Teaching and LearningDigitization, open access and the internet aid UCLA’s return of books looted by NazisThe repatriation of Judaica texts served as catalyst for a UCLA Library-hosted symposium.
- AnnouncementLetter from the university librarian — spring 2022Quarterly message from Ginny Steel.
- CollectionsRare Chinese photobooks enrich collectionsThe addition makes UCLA's collection of Chinese photobooks one of the most extensive in the world.
- Collections, Teaching and LearningMapping a bold vision for Armenian collections, research and teachingUCLA Library continues to lead the nation in Armenian studies and has plans to grow even more.
- Announcement, CollectionsAt the Getty Center: Works from UCLA Library Special CollectionsLibrary Special Collections items depicting the human anatomy across history take a trip to the Getty Center.
- Announcement, PeopleDedicated food studies librarian essential ingredient of new instituteGenerous UCLA endowment funds what is believed to be the first food studies librarian in the nation.
- Announcement2022 UCLA Festival of Preservation celebrates moving image history May 20–22The 20th edition of the biennial event is free to the public at the Billy Wilder Theater at the Hammer Museum.
- Collections, PeopleUCLA Library collections reveal legacy of California’s first Black librarianMiriam Matthews’ personal papers, oral history and photo archive show how she shaped Los Angeles.
- Announcement, Teaching and LearningUCLA Library announces public programs for spring quarterEvents will range from data workshops to film screenings to undergraduate research week.
- Announcement, CollectionsUCLA Library becomes academic home to the collection of beloved martial arts fiction authorShiao Yi Wuxia Collection includes manuscripts, photos, other ephemera.
- CollectionsInternational & area studies winter reading list: International Women's DayA reading list, curated by international and area studies librarians, featuring works by international poets.
- AnnouncementUCLA Library awards grants to eight music school projectsThese funds will support commissions, performances, recordings, residencies and research for contemporary music.
- PeopleA Bookman’s Impact on the Library SystemLawrence Clark Powell, for whom UCLA’s iconic library is named, was the university’s chief librarian and a prolific writer.
- CollectionsThe landmark film that let Black entertainers ‘steal the show’ in classic HollywoodQ&A with historian Miriam Petty about ‘Stormy Weather,’ which the UCLA Film & Television Archive will screen on Feb. 19.
- CollectionsUC Library Search: The future is sharedIn 2021, the ten UC campuses launched the first-ever systemwide integrated library discovery and circulation management system.
- Announcement, PeopleJennifer Osorio to lead UCLA Library Special CollectionsSpecial collections contains rare books, archives, manuscripts, photographs, oral histories and other rare and unique materials.
- AnnouncementNew UCLA Food Studies Institute features dedicated endowed librarianThe institute will collaborate with a community of chefs and scholars in pursuit of a healthier population and planet.
- AnnouncementEight films with UCLA ties among 25 named to the National Film RegistryThe Librarian of Congress annually selects the United States’ most influential motion pictures for this honor.
- Teaching and LearningStudent work inspires a career, and the desire to give backLiz Harter's career was born at UCLA Library — and now she's giving that same opportunity to current students.
- AnnouncementLetter from the university librarian — winter 2021Quarterly message from the Ginny Steel.
- Teaching and LearningLibrary staff welcome Bruins to campusUCLA Library made sure both new and returning students felt at home after a year of remote learning.
- Teaching and LearningMedia licensing delivers archival materials to the massesLearn how UCLA Library material has appeared in a wide variety of film and television productions.
- PeopleBringing global knowledge home to WestwoodMiddle East and Islamic Studies librarian Sohaib Baig continues to expand on UCLA Library's collection.
- Teaching and LearningUCLA Library to present more than two dozen public programs for fall 2021Events will range from research and data workshops to lectures and screenings.
- AnnouncementUCLA Film & Television Archive welcomes audiences back to in-person screeningsFree fall programs at the Billy Wilder Theater at the Hammer Museum run from Nov. 12 to Dec. 18.
- AnnouncementUCLA Library funds 29 international cultural preservation projectsIn its third year, the Modern Endangered Archives Program has also launched an open access website.
- Welcome Sohaib Baig, Middle East and Islamic Studies librarianLearn about Sohaib Baig and his goals as Middle East and Islamic Studies Librarian.
- Announcement, CollectionsThe Map and the Territory exhibitUCLA Library items on display in a Fowler Museum exhibit highlighting the university's vast collections.
- Digital Library Program: Newly publishedThe UCLA Library Digital Library Program debuts a new, easy-to-use interface.
- AnnouncementNew endowment for Japanese collections at the East Asian LibraryA generous donation has allowed UCLA Library to expand its work in Japanese studies.
- New online model connects LGBTQ+ media to global audienceIn the midst of COVID-19, the UCLA Film & Television Archive's virtual screenings introduce audiences to LGBTQ+ media.
- Teaching and LearningHarmonizing data to under‘stan’d music industry successUCLA Library Data Science Center helps alumnus Gabrielle Sones complete award-winning research on music popularity and social media.
- Letter from the university librarian — fall 2021Quarterly message from Ginny Steel.
- Teaching and LearningDigital tools unlock primary sources for remote learningHistory course allows students to explore UCLA Library's collection of books with handwritten annotations.
- AnnouncementUCLA Library locations to open Sept. 13; Temporary remote services to be discontinuedUCLA Library prepares for the return to in-person learning.
- AnnouncementUC Library Search is hereCheck out UC Library's new and improved catalog system.
- CollectionsInternational and area studies poetry reading listA reading list, curated by international and area studies librarians, featuring works by international poets.
- UCLA Library introduces page and pickup serviceDuring the remote learning period, UCLA Library offered a Page and Pickup service to ensure students and researchers got the materials they needed.
- AnnouncementUCLA Library program announces new projects to digitize and document activism, political expression and communal memory around the worldThe Modern Endangered Archives Program's second cohort broadens its global reach at a time when such efforts are dwindling.
- AnnouncementA Message from University Librarian Virginia Steel — June 2, 2020Virginia Steel reaffirms the UCLA Library's commitment to creating a more just and equal world.
- AnnouncementLegacy gift makes a big impact on small spacesThe Sandy Kahn Trust will help to refurbish the 15 group study rooms at the Charles E. Young Research Library.
- AnnouncementOpen Sourced: Bruins share their OpenUCLA impact storiesBruins share how OpenUCLA helps them access research and scholarship.
- CollectionsUCLA Library and Kaleidoscope announce open access collaboration to empower composersThe collaboration will make work more accessible and reduce barriers for applicants to Kaleidoscope’s 2020 Call for Scores.
- People, Teaching and LearningWadada Leo Smith’s “UCLA Music Library” premieresMusic Library-commissioned work supports the advancement of contemporary music.
Displaying 0 results
Search for “” not found.
We can’t find the term you are looking for on this page,
but we're here to help.
Try searching the whole site from UCLA Library Home, or try one of the these regularly visited links:
Have Further Questions?
We're here to help. Chat with a librarian 24/7, schedule a research consultation or email us your quick questions.