What is SHARES?
UCLA students, staff, and faculty can visit libraries at all SHARES partner institutions without making prior arrangments.
- Simply present your UCLA I.D. at any of the SHARES institutional libraries to gain access to the building.
- Check the complete list of SHARES instutions and their local policies; some restrictions apply
What is the SHARES On-Site Borrowing Pilot Program?
In addition to accessing any of the SHARES Partner Institutions, a small number of SHARES libraries are offering the opportunity to create a library account and check out materials. Partners in the pilot program are: Brandeis University, Cornell University, Northwestern University, Syracuse University, Temple University, UCLA, and Washington University in St. Louis.
Are you a UCLA student, staff, or faculty visiting a partner in the On-Site Borrowing Program?
- Complete and submit the SHARES application online.
- The UCLA Interlibrary Loan Office will verify your status and forward your application to the SHARES institution for which you plan to visit.
- You will receive a confirmation email from the SHARES institution with details about when you can pick up your library card.
For further information or questions, please contact Alicia Amador, Interlibrary Loans Manager.
Are you visiting UCLA from a SHARES institution?
If you are planning to simply visit the UCLA Library, all our buildings are open to the public. No I.D. is required to enter. **
If you are visiting from one of the On-Site Borrowing pilot institutions and would like to borrow materials from UCLA locally, follow the steps below to set up a UCLA library account.
- Start the application process at your home institution.
- Your home institution will submit your completed SHARES Reciprocal Borrowing Program Application to the UCLA Library.
- UCLA Library will contact you directly when your SHARES application has been received and processed.
- Visit the Young Research Library Circulation Desk, Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
- Present a government issued photo ID card (passport, driver's license)
- A UCLA Library Card will NOT be issued without an approved application from your home institution; please make arrangements with your library before coming to UCLA.
- Your UCLA Library Card will:
- Be valid for one year from the issuing date.
- Allow physical access and borrowing of circulating books and DVDs at all UCLA libraries.
- Allow you to check out up to twenty items for 4 weeks.
- Items can be returned at either UCLA or your home institution's library.
**EXCEPTION: The UCLA Law Library observes a very limited access policy which is enforced at all times, including for SHARES institutions. Users from SHARES institutions who meet the requirements of the access policy are eligible to use the Law Library and borrow materials following the steps listed above.