Use of the Graduate Reading Room is restricted to graduate and professional students in the Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health and the Life Sciences division of the College of Letters and Science.
Access (as of 9/23/21)
Doors leading to the study areas are locked at all times. Eligible students may unlock the doors by swiping their BruinCards through the reader next to the door. Each student should scan his or her own BruinCard. Undergraduate students or ineligible users will not gain access to the Graduate Reading Room.
Daily BruinCard ID checks are being conducted by CHS security. All individuals will be asked to swipe their BruinCards. If you do not have your card or access is denied, you will be asked to leave.
Eligible students should not admit ineligible students or those who request access by knocking on the doors.
The reading room is open twenty-four hours a day. Students using it do not have access to the rest of the Biomedical Library when the library is closed.
Use of Study Carrels and Rooms
Study carrels on the third-floor are for use by all health sciences graduate students. Use of the computers is restricted to students in the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health.
Please observe the following priority order for use of the carrels:
- Students using the computers for learning and academic computing.
- Students using computers for email or other non-academic purpose.
- Graduate student using carrel space to study.
Tampering with the computers to make them non-operational is vandalism and will be reported to campus authorities for prosecution.
The group study rooms are for use by groups, not individuals. The rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved in advance.
To keep the area accessible, safe and clean, please observe the following rules:
- Graduate students are asked to maintain a quiet study environment.
- Doors indicated as emergency exits should be used only in the event of an emergency. The alarm will activate and University Police will respond.
- Graduate students should not let other individuals in the Graduate Reading Room with their BruinCard.
- Graduate students are asked to cooperate with Biomedical staff during library closing. Staff check backpacks, bags, and other materials. All library materials not checked out can be checked out at this time.
- Smoking is not permitted inside the Graduate Reading Room.
- Anyone observed violating these rules will have their privileges revoked and may be fined.
- Use of this facility an its computers must be consistent with all University policies and practices on security, privacy, system integrity, resource use, and functional office procedures.
Any student who believes he or she is eligible to use the reading room but whose BruinCard does not authorize access should fill out an access problem form, available at the Biomedical Library Public Service Desk. Facilities and housekeeping problems can be reported in person to the Public Service Desk, by telephone to the Library's Administrative office at 310-825-5781, or by email.