The mission of UCLA Library Special Collections (LSC) is to inspire discovery, cultivate knowledge and advance research. As part of this mission, LSC lends materials to institutions across the world. Through these loans, LSC facilitates new discoveries and interpretations of materials.
Loan requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. Reviews consider the following:
- the physical condition of the items requested
- the facilities of the borrowing institution
- the anticipated research needs of the UCLA community
Please contact AskLSC@library.ucla.edu or call (310) 825-4988 if assistance is needed to identify items.
Requesting a Loan
Send loan request letters to:
Courtney "Jet" Jacobs
Head of Public Services, Outreach and Community Engagement
A1713, Charles E. Young Research Library
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575
Letters should include the following information:
- Place(s) of exhibition
- Title and dates of the exhibition
- Description of the exhibition, including subject, purpose, etc.
- Expected loan dates (including time for shipping, installation and de-installation)
- Full citation (including call number or collection, box and folder number) of items requested
- Display information (if available), such as page opening, wall-mounted, vitrine case, cradle, etc.
- Assurance that all costs (loan fees, shipping, insurance, imaging, etc.) will be paid by the borrower
Exhibition Lending Fees
|Per loaned item fee||$139|
|Shipping/messenger service (outsourced)||At cost|
|Materials to protect/ship loaned items||At cost|
|Insurance||Provided by borrowing institution|
Have Further Questions?
We're here to help. Chat with a librarian 24/7, schedule a research consultation or email us your quick questions.