- University Archives: the History of UCLA
- Los Angeles History and Culture
- History of Medicine and the Sciences
- World Histories and Cultures
- Manuscripts, Rare Books and Print Culture: History of Printing and Publishing
- Performing Arts (Music, Film and Television, Theater, and Dance)
- Punk Music and Culture
- Visual Arts
- Center for Oral History Research
Have questions about your research?
We can help!
UCLA Library Special Collections has built in-depth collections that reflect trends in arts and architecture in the Los Angeles region, especially as the metropolitan area grew during the Modernist movement, and as the arts flourished in Los Angeles from the 1960s on.
For more information, contact:
Visual arts—painting, printmaking, sculpture, conceptual, land, installation and textile arts; graphic, industrial and fashion design; Book arts, Photography, and Landscape architecture.
Historic and regional photograph albums, newspaper photography, and Southern California architecture.
Current Collecting Priorities
The current emphasis is on the late 1960s to the present, a period of vital political and artistic change that affected Los Angeles art museums, galleries, and art education. Archives that reflect the creative processes and activities of artists, designers, photographers, architects, and landscape architects, including prominent teachers of art, proprietors of galleries, and others involved in the development of the arts and art culture in Los Angeles are of special interest. The UCLA Library Special Collections also holds and continues to build on its extensive regional photography, including the Los Angeles Times and Los Angeles Daily News photo archives, as well as photo documentation of the area by individual photographers.
- Visual arts and artists (painters, sculptors, printmakers, conceptual artists)
- Graphic, Industrial, and Fashion Design
- Book arts (artists' books, illustration, and typographic design)
- Photography and photographers
- Southern California architects
- Landscape architecture
- Works of art on paper
- Exhibit-ready works
- Sketches and concept design work
- Architectural Renderings
- Apparel and costumes