- University Archives: the History of UCLA
- Los Angeles History and Culture
- History of Medicine and the Sciences
- World Histories and Cultures
- Manuscripts, Rare Books and Print Culture: History of Printing and Publishing
- Performing Arts (Music, Film and Television, Theater, and Dance)
- Punk Music and Culture
- Visual Arts
- Center for Oral History Research
Have questions about your research?
We can help!
UCLA Library Special Collections selectively acquires, through purchase and gifts, materials in all formats that document the performing arts created in and around Los Angeles and Southern California including film, television, dance, theater, and music.
For more information, contact:
Current Collecting Priorities
Within each area, collecting priority is given to archival materials that are created by organizations and/or individuals that represent Los Angeles, and Southern California, and those that reflect the work of women.
Film and Television
The film and television collections document film and television in both their aesthetic and technical aspects and span the history of those media from their beginnings to the present day. The holdings include the papers of artisans, writers, directors, and performers; the records of producers and studios; and a variety of posters, ephemera, and stills.
- History of television, with concentrations in animation and game shows
- Film and television industry crafts
The majority of the music holdings cover the Los Angeles region in the twentieth century and include American popular music, papers of Los Angeles émigré composers, oral histories and papers of Los Angeles jazz musicians, and the music industry. Antiquarian music holdings date back to the ninth century and include music manuscripts, Italian libretti; early printed editions (including first editions) of full scores and piano-vocal scores of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century operas, and original editions of musicology texts.
- Music industry
- New Music (composers and performing groups)
- Jewish Music (sacred and secular music on a Jewish theme)
- Los Angeles Jazz
Los Angeles Theater
Los Angeles theater is represented by the records of local theater groups and includes collections of playbills, scripts, and assorted production materials.
Dance holdings support UCLA's long-standing participation in the creation, study, and reconstruction of modern dance, contemporary ballet, dance for stage and screen, kinesiology, dance therapy, and dance performance reflecting cultures throughout the world. Formats include choreographic notes, contracts, correspondence, moving images, musical scores, oral histories, personal journals, photographs, programs, and rare books.
- Contemporary dance forms that echo the diversity of dance expressions and cultures
- Local dance companies and choreographers
- UCLA World Arts and Cultures
More About the Collection
See the following Research Guides for more information about these materials:
- Sheet Music in Library Special Collections
- Film and Television Research in Library Special Collections
- Music Resources in Library Special Collections
- Animation Materials in Library Special Collections
- Women in Entertainment Resources in Library Special Collections
- Punk Music and Culture in the UCLA Library
- Dance in Special Collections