Have questions about your research?
We can help!
The UCLA University Archives, established in 1949 by Provost Clarence A. Dykstra, is the official repository for non-current UCLA records having permanent historical, fiscal, legal, or administrative value. It identifies and collects the official university records in all formats that document the history of administrative offices and departments, academic departments and programs, related organizations, and campus groups.
In coordination with the UCLA Records Management, the university archivist serves as a records consultant and identifies official university records held by administrative and academic offices, departments, and programs, while helping to support units in good record keeping.
The University Archives promotes and maintains its designated obligations regarding official university recordsthrough partnerships with:
- UCLA Office of the Chancellor
- University of California (UC) Office of the President
- UC university archivists on all ten campuses
Records in the University Archives date from the late nineteenth century, as they include materials from the Los Angeles State Normal School, established in 1881. In 1919, the Southern Branch of the University of California opened, becoming the second campus of the University of California. The name was changed in 1927 to the University of California at Los Angeles, and a comma replaced the word "at" in 1953. The campus has been located in the Westwood area since September 1929, having moved from its previous site on Vermont Avenue near downtown Los Angeles.
A full listing of the University Archives currently available for research can be found in the Online Archive of California or in UC Library Search. A full research guide, including links to all digitized materials can be found here: UCLA University History in Library Special Collections.