Raymond L. Libby came to UCLA in 1948 as a professor of radiology. He was one of the first faculty members in the UCLA School of Medicine, an association which lasted for twenty-three years until his retirement. A pioneer in nuclear medicine, he served as chief of the Division of Radiation Biology from 1956 to 1971. The establishment of the medical physics program at the UCLA School of Medicine was based largely on the courses he organized and taught. Upon his death in 1976, his wife, Bess, established The Raymond L. Libby Fund for the acquisition of books in radiology, radiation biology, and related areas. This endowment benefits the faculty, staff, and students who use the Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library. Mrs. Libby's purpose in establishing the endowment was to perpetuate her husband's memory and his love of books and to express his admiration for Louise Darling, founding librarian of the Biomedical Library.