Edward "Abe" Lasher received his bachelor's degree in 1935 and his master's degree in 1936 in chemistry from UCLA. He returned to campus to earn his doctorate in 1963, studying under the direction of Professor Thomas Jacobs. In the intervening years he started Specialty Resins, a company acquired by Allied Chemical in 1960. After receiving his doctorate, Mr. Lasher started HCI-Coatings and Chemical Company and Roblen Resins and Development Corporation, both of which were acquired by the Whittaker Corporation in 1968. Mr. Lasher and his wife, Alma, made substantial contributions to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and to the Chemistry Library. The Edward A. Lasher Chemistry Library Fund provides an endowment for the acquisition of books, periodicals, and other materials which have benefited countless UCLA students and researchers.