Have questions about your research?
We can help!
Faculty Authorization Library Cards
UC Academic users can authorize another individual to conduct Library business on behalf of the faculty member or for a faculty-sponsored research project and can obtain a faculty authorization Library card for that individual.
Please note that in July 2021, the UCLA Library transitioned to a new circulation system. This new system handles proxy accounts differently than our previous system. With our new system:
- All loans checked out using the proxy borrower's card will be directly checked out to their faculty sponsor's account. There will no longer be a need for faculty to monitor multiple accounts. All loans and fee notices will appear on the faculty sponsor's account, where they can monitor and renew their items.
- When logged into UC Library Search, faculty sponsors will be able to see the name and expiration date of their proxy borrowers under the "Notes" tab of their account.
- Faculty sponsors will be able to submit their ILL and SRLF requests using their accounts, and their proxy borrowers will be able to check out those items on their behalf. At this time, functionality does not currently exist for proxy borrowers to submit ILL and SRLF requests on behalf of their faculty sponsors. The Library is eagerly awaiting this functionality to be added to proxy accounts by the system's makers, and will update borrowers when it has been added.
Faculty can request or renew an authorization card by:
- Filling out and submitting the request form below. Library staff will verify the request with the faculty member using their campus email address, and notify them when the card is ready for pickup by them or the proxy borrower. A photographic ID must be presented at the time of card pickup.
- Filling out an application at a library circulation desk. To obtain a faculty authorization card, both the faculty member and the authorized user must be present at the time of issuance. The faculty member must present a valid UCLA Library card, and the authorized user must present a photographic ID.
The campus address of the faculty member is required for account creation. Cards are issued for one year or less and can be renewed using the form above, or with a letter from the faculty member on official university stationary. Authorized users must be at least eighteen years of age.
A faculty member's signature on the application constitutes acknowledgment of responsibility for all materials checked out by the authorized user. All recall notices, fines, and bills will be the responsibility of the faculty member. Faculty members are requested to inform the Library if card privileges should be terminated before the card's expiration when the designated user is no longer authorized.