Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences (ALHHS)
Hosted on the UCLA Library web site, the ALHHS is established exclusively for educational purposes to serve the professional interests of librarians, archivists, and other specialists actively engaged in the librarianship of the history of the health sciences by promoting the exchange of information and by improving standards of service.
Databases for the History of Medicine
- Index-Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon-General's Office. U.S. Army. Series 1: This is a pilot release of NLM's IndexCat search system.
- PubMed - A new subject subset (formerly known as HISTLINE), History of Medicine, is now available on the Subset pull-down menu on the PubMed Limits screen.
- DIRLINE (Directory of Information Resources Online) is the National Library of Medicine's online database containing location and descriptive information about a wide variety of information resources including organizations, research resources, projects, and databases concerned with health and biomedicine. This information may not be readily available in bibliographic databases. Each record may contain information on the publications, holdings, and services provided. (Search for the phrase History of Medicine.)
Indexing the Web
These sites aim to list, index, or inventory the great variety of material appearing on the Web that relates to the history of medicine and science.
- History of the Health Sciences World Wide Web Links
Medical Library Association, History of the Health Sciences Section
- Karolinska Institute History of Biomedicine, Sweden
- MedHist - From the Wellcome Library for the History and Understanding of Medicine at the Wellcome Trust.
- Repositories of Primary Sources
The web catalog of the National Library of Medicine
The online catalog of The Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine via telenet.
Images on the Web - People, Places, and Things
- Burns Archive Medical Collection
- Edgar Fahs Smith Collection of Images
University of Pennsylvania Library / Center for Electronic Text & Image. Images of Scientists, Philosphers, and Lab Equipment.
- Founders of Neurology - A Photographic Exhibit
- The Index of Medieval Medical Images (IMMI) 2001 Pilot Project
The Index of Medieval Medical Images with digitized images linked to the cataloging.
- Images from the History of Medicine
This system provides access to the nearly 60,000 images in the prints and photograph collection of the History of Medicine Division (HMD) of the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM).