Description of Library Catalogs
Have questions about your research?
We can help!
The Melvyl Catalog provides information about articles, books, journals, and other materials held by UCLA, other University of California (UC) campuses, and libraries worldwide. Many records contain links to full-text articles from selected databases. Additional materials in all formats, including full-text articles from journals and books not indexed in Melvyl, may be accessible from the Databases by Subject section.
Use Melvyl when you want an encompassing, general search for books, articles, and more from all the UCs or to request book delivery from other UC campuses using the "Request" button if UCLA does not own a particular title.
UCLA Library Catalog
The UCLA Library Catalog provides information about the holdings of the UCLA Library, the Southern Regional Library Facility (SRLF), and specialized collections across campus. It includes journals and periodicals by title, but it does not contain journal article titles or authors. For indexes to journal articles, consult Melvyl, Databases by Subject, or Locate the Article from your Citation.
Use the UCLA Library Catalog when you want to search for UCLA Library holdings, renew books, check, "My Account," search course reserves, or request items from the SRLF.
- WorldCat: Catalog containing the holdings of thousands of libraries worldwide, with multiple search-field options and resource-type limits for advanced searching
- Center for Research Libraries: Catalog emphasizing materials produced outside the United States, especially publications and archives from developing regions
- Online Archive of California: Centralized collection of finding aids, or inventories, which contain detailed descriptions of primary resource collections held by more than two hundred institutions including libraries, special collections, archives, historical societies, and museums throughout California and the ten UC campuses; links to digital files when available
- HathiTrust: Collaborative digital repository of books from research libraries, including content digitized through the Google Books project and Internet Archive digitization initiative as well as content digitized locally by libraries; materials under copyright are listed but may not be available online
- Instructional Media Library: Catalog of the holdings of the UCLA Office of Instructional Development’s Instructional Media Collections and Services; visual media in this collection have been acquired for classroom instructional use at UCLA, and titles circulate to UCLA instructors for classroom use only. Titles can also be placed on reserve in the Instructional Media Laboratory in the Powell Library Building, room 270, where UCLA students, faculty, and staff can view them.
- UCLA Film & Television Archive Catalog: Catalog of the moving image holdings of the Archive, which holds more than 350,000 films and television programs produced from the 1890s to the present, including independent and studio-produced shorts and feature films, advertising and industrial films, documentaries, local and network TV programming, commercials, news and public affairs broadcasts, and twenty-seven million feet of newsreels produced between 1919 and 1971.