The UCLA East Asian Library’s Japanese collection is strong in Buddhism, fine arts, literature, history, and folklore, with recent growing strength added in modern intellectual history and cultural studies. The collection also includes ca. 800 titles of pre-modern publications and manuscripts. Recent additions include a collection of books originally belonged to the late Prof. Marius B. Jansen (1922-2000), ca. 2,000 volumes on Japanese history, and another belonged to the late Mr. Jiro Tokuyama (1919-2001), over 2,600 volumes in business management, comparative cultures, and international relations.
Prange Collection Microform Set
Gordon W. Prange Collection magazines (62,977 microfiches) and Gordon W. Prange Collection newspapers and newsletters (3,826 microfilm reels) respectively reproduce 13,783 magazines and 18,047 newspapers and newsletters published in Japan during the Allied Occupation for the years 1945-1949. The originals are part of the Gordon W. Prange Collection housed at the University of Maryland at College Park Libraries, which is known as “the most comprehensive collection in the world of print publications issued in Japan during the immediate post-World War II years, 1945-1949.”
Materials from the Prange Collection microform set do not circulate; they are available for use only in the East Asian Library’s reading room. For using the Prange Collection microform set, users are requested to make an appointment in advance by filling out theTomoko Bialock.
Lists of Titles and Online Catalog
- Prange Magazine Collection Titles (Microsoft Excel Document, updated: July 20, 2009)
- Prange Newspaper Collection Titles (Microsoft Excel Document, updated: July 20, 2009)
- NDL-OPAC (Click on プランゲ文庫の検索/申し込み button)
- Database of Newspapers and Magazines Published During the Post-War Occupation Period from 1945 to 1949 = 占領期新聞雑誌情報データベース (provided by the Institute of Twentieth-Century Media/Committee for the Preservation of Magazines Published during the Occupation; free registration required): Indexes to magazine and newspaper articles in the Gordon W. Prange Collection which originally belonged to the Civil Censorship Detachment, a unit within GHQ. The database also includes information on availability of censorship notes within the articles.
- Guide to the Gordon W. Prange magazine collection, the University of Maryland Libraries = メリーランド大学図書館所蔵ゴードン・W・プランゲ文庫雑誌目錄. New York, NY: Norman Ross Pub., 2001. 3 vols.: In addition to the title list in alphabetical order, it offers prefecture and subject indexes to magazine titles.
- Guide to the Gordon W. Prange newspaper collection, the University of Maryland Libraries =メリーランド大学図書館所蔵ゴードン・W・プランゲ文庫新聞目錄. Ann Arbor, MI: ProQuest Information and Learning, 2005. 3 vols.: In addition to the title list in alphabetical order, it offers prefecture and subject indexes to newspaper titles.
- Okuizumi, Eizaburo. User’s guide to the microfilm edition of censored periodicals: 1945-1949 = マイクロフィルム版占領軍検閱雑誌目錄・解題: 昭和20年--昭和24年. Tokyo: Yūshōdō Shoten, 1982. (User’s guide to the Gordon W. Prange Collection, East Asian Collection, University of Maryland at College Park; 1). 1 vol.: A bibliography of 3,500 censored Japanese periodicals from the Prange Collection, comprising a total of 9,500 issues.
Terasaki Research Travel Grant
- UCLA Paul I. and Hisako Terasaki Center for Japanese Studies offers the Terasaki Research Travel Grant Program to support scholars who wish to come to UCLA to use the Prange Collection Microform Set.