Audiovisual Preservation at UCLA Library supports preservation and access to moving images and recorded sounds held in our collections. We digitize a wide variety of analog audio and video formats, provide secure viewing for film, and provide education in handling, storage, and reformatting best practices for legacy AV materials.
Some audiovisual preservation services are available to non-profit institutions on a fee-for-service, cost recovery basis. Please see our main page for more information.
- Reformatting: in-house reformatting and managing outsourcing large projects; involves inspection, preparation, delivery to vendor, and quality control
- Processing and rehousing: Preparing condition reports, rehousing, verifying content of all film formats and VHS and audio compact cassettes that are in playable condition
- Conservation repair and treatments: Cleaning of film, recorded disc, VHS, and Umatic tape; splicing repair of film, video cassettes, quarter-inch reel-to-reel audiotape and audio cassettes; re-shelling VHS and audio compact cassettes
- Quality Control: Ensuring that audio and video digital files requested have been created and meet specified standards and playback through spot checks of files and file states; verifying MD5 checksums for each file; confirming that requested metadata has been created and supplied by vendor; inspecting physical condition of newly created film preservation elements
- Digital Preservation, Sustainability, and Maintenance: Collaborating with other Library departments to finalize standards and to ensure necessary amount of digital storage space and multiple backups in geographic locations, stored with accompanying metadata and verified MD5 checksums
- Development: Working with the UCLA Library's Development office and other departments and staff to obtain funding for activities and services
Each academic quarter we offer one or two practicum opportunities for students to volunteer or obtain course credit under the supervision of the AV Preservation Specialist.
For information, contact: