The UCLA Library’s Preservation Program keeps the library collections usable now and into the future by providing expert care and advice. The program encompasses conservation, collections care and bindery, audiovisual preservation, and preservation administration. Follow the links for more information on each area, or check out our recently relaunched blog!
UCLA Library Preservation offers a variety of conservation and preservation services on a cost-recovery, non-profit basis for other non-profit institutions in the Southern California region. We offer state-of-the-art equipment and highly trained staff to preserve valuable and unique library and archival collections in a variety of formats, for UCLA departments, other University of California campuses, and other non-profit institutions in the area.
Book & Paper
- A range of conservation treatments and stabilization of library materials
- Custom enclosures
- Mounts for exhibition of library and other materials
- High quality facsimiles
- Work performed and documented according to the American Institute for Conservation's Code of Ethics.
- Inspection and assessment of audiovisual materials
- Rehousing of audiovisual materials
- Digitization of many audio and video formats in our studio. (Please inquire for current capacity.)
Fees are calculated on an hourly basis (charged by quarter-hour), plus any costs for travel and supplies. Prior written agreement is required before any services can be provided. Please note we are unable to provide services for private individuals.
|Special Collections Conservator||$56.58|
|Audiovisual Preservation Specialist||$58.99|
How to request services
For a consultation regarding these services, please use this online request form.
The request form asks for the following infomration:
- Your name
- How to contact you
- Your institutional affiliation
- A description of the items
- The kinds of services the items may require
- The context for the request (exhibit deadlines, used for a class, etc.)
Temporary Locations in the UCLA Library Catalog
If an item in UCLA Library collections is receiving preservation attention, its record in the UCLA Library Catalog will indicate one of three temporary statuses:
- Being repaired in the Conservation Lab
- Under review by Preservation Department
- Sent to UC Bindery
Items with these statuses are inaccessible until the preservation work has been completed. If you have further questions, contact the library listed in the record's location field.